9 Software Development Trends To Build Flawless Tech Products In 2023
Updated in February 2023
- #1 Cross-platform app development
- #2 Cloud computing
- #3 Cloud microservices
- #4 AR/VR technologies
- #5 The intersection of 5G and IoT
- #6 Artificial Intelligence
- #7 Offshore software development
- #8 QA automation
- #9 Agile approach
- Latest software development trends summary
- Software development trends 2023 FAQ
- Wrapping up
Information technology is probably one of the most dynamic industries. It always reflects user preferences and today’s world development. To be successful in the market and build demanded software, you should clearly understand your customer pain points, enhance existing services, and deliver new useful features. Nonetheless, there are so many technologies and approaches to implement in your tech products. That’s why businesses should stay on top of the latest software development trends.
Coreteka gathered meaningful software development tendencies in this article. After looking through them, you can get some insights on building your own tech products and delivering new useful features to your users. Read on!
6 top tech software development trends
Current software development trends are aimed to bring more flexibility, scalability, and user-friendliness to your applications. For example, when you launch new versions of your product, make sure they are confident for your users. Expanding product features, delivering smooth interaction processes, and easy deployment is all about building great products.
#1 Cross-platform app development: bringing flexibility to your users
According to the Statista report, each user worldwide will have approximately 3.6 devices and connections for 2023. This means your customers may exploit several appliances with different operating systems. Earlier, developers had to adapt their applications specifically for each OS. However, now this process is simplified thanks to the cross-platform development approach.
Cross-platform app development implies you can build one product, working on several operating systems, e.g., Android and iOS. This also doesn’t require learning a new programming language or adapting an application to a specific OS. Cross-platform development is a good choice when your customers use your tech products on different devices. This delivers a seamless process to users. That’s why cross-platform development is now becoming one of the top software development trends for 2023.
If you consider developing your applications for several operating systems, it can be done using frameworks and platforms. The best ones are below
- Flutter—the framework is designed by Google, allowing developers to work with open source from a single code base. This means that you can easily elaborate on your tech products and search for vulnerabilities if needed. Flutter is applicable to Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Xamarin—this is a free and open-source development environment designed by Microsoft. Xamarin is based on the C# programming language, allowing developers to create high-performance iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows applications.
Coreteka’s development team is proficient in all these frameworks and platforms. If you’re puzzled by choosing the right tool, contact us to get a free consultation.
#2 Cloud computing: a new normal for remote work
2022 Thales Data Thread Report states that 60% of businesses store their corporate data in the cloud. Moreover, according to the Gather report, 95% of companies will increase their use of cloud services by 2025.
Cloud computing gained more popularity due to the COVID-19 pandemic when a lot of companies were forced to adapt their operational processes to remote work. However, this trend still remains relevant. The logic of cloud computing is simple: users can access necessary data using remote physical servers. In such a way, your developers can receive information from any part of the world and process it. From a business point of view, you don’t require to develop and maintain your servers, meaning large cost decreases.
One intriguing fact demonstrates how much businesses are dependent on cloud computing technologies. On June 8th, 2021, there was a massive failure on the internet that resulted in about 85% of internet traffic being lost. Users couldn’t access such influential websites as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Amazon, BBC, Spotify, and even the British government’s source. They were crushed by just one user, a client of the cloud provider Fastly. He changed his system settings and accidentally activated an error that was hidden in the code of the internet service provider’s software.
Here are some ways of using cloud computing in your business operations:
- For the sales and marketing department. Your employees will have access to the necessary information from any device, allowing them to immediately respond to problems, make changes, and eliminate unnecessary information. As a result, business solutions are optimized, and sales are improved. The system helps to thoroughly analyze data, predict customer behavior, and develop marketing strategies.
- For the human resources department. Document circulation is optimized, interaction with other departments is improved, and the process of hiring and dismissing employees is simplified. Cloud technology allows for convenient training and skill-building without taking away from work.
- For the customer support service. Customers have the option of self-service, reducing the workload on operators. The database will be centralized and able to store complete sales history. All operational decisions regarding the interaction between parties (seller/buyer) will be united.
#3 Cloud microservices: delivering easy deployment and scaling
Cloud microservices is a software development trend that is gaining traction in 2023. Microservices are a software architecture pattern that divides a complex application into small, independent, and loosely coupled services. In this pattern, each microservice is designed to perform a specific task, which can be developed and deployed independently of the others. Now, world-famous enterprises like Netflix, Amazon, Twitter, and eBay utilize microservices.
The adoption of cloud microservices has been driven by the need for organizations to increase their agility and speed of delivering software. With cloud microservices, organizations can quickly build, deploy, and scale their applications in response to changing business needs. According to a survey by the NGINX web server vendor, 68% of organizations have adopted microservices and are using them in production.
The cloud infrastructure also provides a cost-effective and scalable platform for running microservices, as well as a variety of tools for managing, monitoring, and securing microservices. This has further fueled the growth of cloud microservices as a software development trend.
#4 AR/VR technologies: building strong communications with your customers
Augmented and Virtual Realities are poised to be major trends in the tech industry in 2023. With advancements in hardware, software, and network technologies, AR and VR are transforming the way people interact with tech products and each other. Here are some key statistics and insights to help you understand the growth of AR/VR technologies. Accordingly to various reports, the AR/VR market is expected to grow from $11.4 billion in 2020 to $215.8 billion by 2023.
Here are four industries where AR and VR are in great demand:
- Gaming industry. Implementing AR/VR allows developers to reinvent the way users’ gaming experience. In such a way, you can create amazing stories which engage gamers worldwide for interacting. The VR gaming market is expected to reach $45.09 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 33.47% from 2020 to 2025.
- Healthcare. AR and VR are also being utilized in the healthcare industry for training and education purposes, as well as for telemedicine and remote consultations. The global VR in healthcare market size is expected to reach $3.6 billion by 2026.
- Retail and eCommerce. Retail and eCommerce companies are using AR and VR to enhance customer experiences by allowing customers to try on clothes virtually or view products in a virtual environment. The global AR in retail market size is expected to reach $2.2 billion by 2023.
- Education and training. AR and VR technologies are being used in education and training to enhance the learning experience, providing students with immersive and interactive educational experiences.
Overall, the AR/VR market is expected to continue its growth trend in 2023 and beyond. With the increasing demand for more interactive and immersive experiences, the adoption of AR/VR technologies will only continue to grow in the coming years.
#5 The intersection of 5G and IoT: the rise of interconnected physical devices
5G is a next-generation mobile network technology that offers faster speeds, lower latency, and increased capacity compared to 4G networks, while IoT refers to the growing network of connected devices and sensors that are embedded in everyday objects.
The combination of 5G and IoT creates new opportunities for high-speed, low-latency communication and data exchange between connected devices, enabling new use cases and applications that were previously not possible. For example, 5G and IoT can enable real-time monitoring and control of industrial equipment, remote surgeries, autonomous vehicles, and smart cities.
According to a report by IDC, the global market for 5G and IoT technologies is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 28.7% from 2020 to 2023, reaching a total market size of $1.4 trillion. The report also states that 5G and IoT will enable the development of new business models and revenue streams for companies in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and retail.
Another report by Ericsson predicts that by 2026, there will be 1.5 billion 5G subscriptions globally and that 5G networks will support over half of all IoT devices. This highlights the potential of 5G and IoT to drive widespread adoption and integration of connected devices in various industries.
#6 AI: new ways of improving user experience
Artificial Intelligence is increasingly being used as a tool to improve customer experience in 2023 and beyond. This technology allows businesses to personalize and optimize the customer experience in real time by leveraging large amounts of data and advanced algorithms.
One key area where AI is making a big impact is in customer service, where chatbots and virtual assistants powered by AI can provide quick and efficient assistance to customers. This not only improves the speed of response but also provides a more human-like interaction that customers find satisfying. By 2025, AI-based virtual customer assistants can power 95% of all customer service interactions.
Another area where AI is making a big impact is personalized marketing. AI algorithms can analyze customer data, such as purchase history and behavior patterns, to create highly personalized marketing campaigns that increase engagement and conversion rates. A recent study by Epsilon found that personalized email campaigns driven by AI delivered an open rate 29% higher and a click-through rate 41% higher than non-personalized campaigns.
Business process software development trends
Software development is not only about providing useful features to an end user. It’s also about setting up strong delivery processes. There are some business trends in software development.
#1 Increased demand for offshore software development
Software development involves searching for a reliable team to bring your projects into reality. However, it’s not so easy to find tech talents in today’s strong competitive markets. In this case, you can rely on offshore software development vendors that can help you develop projects from scratch or hire a dedicated team of specialists. If you’re interested in how this works, explore our article.
There are some more reasons to request offshore software development services:
- Cost savings. Outsourcing software development to countries with lower labor costs can help companies save money and increase their profits. For example, Coreteka has offices in Eastern Europe which allow you to get software developers at a lower price.
- Access to talent: Offshore development companies often have large pools of skilled software developers and engineers, providing companies access to a wider range of talent than they would otherwise have access to.
- Increased efficiency. Offshore development companies may be able to complete projects more quickly and efficiently due to differences in time zones, which can also help companies meet tight deadlines.
- Focus on core competencies. Outsourcing software development can allow companies to focus on their core competencies and business operations, rather than having to allocate resources to software development.
- Improved customer satisfaction. Offshore development can result in higher-quality software and improved customer satisfaction, as development companies may have access to the latest technologies and methodologies.
If you’re in need of an offshore software development team, contact us. We provide outsourcing, outstaffing, and recruiting services.
#2 Displacement of software testing by QA automation
Software testing is a critical component of software development, ensuring that applications and systems function as expected and meet customer requirements. With the increasing demand for software development and the need for faster time-to-market, many organizations are turning to quality assurance (QA) automation as a way to reduce manual testing efforts and increase efficiency.
In 2023, the displacement of traditional software testing by QA automation is expected to continue at a rapid pace. Automated testing enables organizations to run tests quickly and repeatedly, reducing the risk of human error and increasing the accuracy of results. This leads to improved software quality, faster time-to-market, and reduced costs.
In addition, the use of AI and machine learning in QA automation is expected to become more prevalent in 2023. These technologies can be used to optimize testing processes, identify and isolate defects more effectively, and even predict potential issues before they occur.
#3 Agile approach implementation into delivery processes
The Agile approach is a software development trend in 2023 because it offers numerous benefits that align with the changing needs and expectations of businesses in today’s rapidly evolving digital landscape.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Agile allows teams to respond quickly to changes in project requirements, which is crucial in today’s fast-paced environment where business requirements can change rapidly.
- Improved collaboration and communication. Agile prioritizes collaboration and communication between developers, stakeholders, and customers, enabling teams to work together toward a common goal.
- Faster time to market. By breaking down a project into smaller, manageable sprints, Agile enables teams to deliver working software to customers faster, reducing time to market and allowing businesses to stay ahead of their competition.
- Increased customer satisfaction. Agile puts the customer at the center of the development process, allowing for continuous feedback and iteration, which results in a better end product that meets customer needs.
- Improved project visibility. Agile provides increased transparency into the development process, enabling teams to track progress and identify potential roadblocks early on, reducing the risk of project failure.
According to a recent study by the Project Management Institute (PMI), organizations that use Agile methodologies are twice as likely to meet project goals and deliver products on time compared to those that don’t.
Latest software development trends summary
|Software development trend||Description|
|Cross-platform app development||Developing products that can operate on several operating systems|
|Cloud computing||Delivering computing services, such as servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence, over the web.|
|Cloud microservices||Building software applications as a suite of small, independently deployable services.|
|AR/VR||Overlaying digital information onto the physical world.|
|5G + IoT||Connecting physical devices into one system using mobile networks|
|AI||The ability of computers and machines to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and chatting with clients.|
|Offshore software development||The practice of outsourcing software development projects to companies or individuals located in another country. The main reason for doing this is to reduce costs and access a larger pool of talent and expertise.|
|QA automation||The use of software tools and processes to automate the testing of software applications, in order to improve the speed, efficiency, and accuracy of the quality assurance process.|
|Agile approach||Project management methodology that emphasizes flexibility, collaboration, and rapid iteration in software development, allowing teams to respond quickly to changing requirements and deliver high-quality results.|
Software development trends 2023 FAQ
Cross-platform mobile applications, cloud computing, microservices, AR/VR, 5G, and AI are one of the major software development trends in 2023. They aimed to reinvent the ways the traditional software development process works and deliver flexible approaches.
The future of software development is highly dependent on the rapid pace of technological advancements and the changing demands of businesses and consumers. However, some trends that are expected to shape the future of software development include an increased focus on cloud computing, advancements in Artificial Intelligence, greater emphasis on User Experience (UX), the rise of microservices architecture, growth of the Internet of Things (IoT), and the emergence of 5G.
Evolving AI-powered solutions is the next big thing in software development. Artificial Intelligence now does a great job of decreasing manual involvement. In such a way, businesses can delegate routine operations to AI-powered assistants which leads to optimizing operational costs.
If your company strives to be competitive in high-tech markets, you should always be aware of the latest trends in software development. After all, this domain evolves so quickly allowing businesses to implement new approaches in their workflow and deliver fascinating features to their users.
You can also explore trends in mobile applications for 2023 in another article.